Sunday, August 2, 2009

Passing the time

To avoid going absolutely crazy awaiting Brooklyn's arrival, we have tried to continue keeping busy and enjoying some one-on-one time with Hayden.

On Friday, Phil's mom and I took Hayden to the zoo and had a wonderful time. The weather was finally at a more reasonable mid-80s and since we were there in the morning it was even cooler.

Friday night we enjoyed a pizza dinner at Zeek's, which is literally across the street from our house. Surprisingly, this is only our 2nd time going since they opened mid-June. Good pizza, and I even had a slice with spicy Italian Sausage to try to get labor started (people swear that spicy food does the trick) but no luck. Just bad heartburn later. :( But I am so proud of Hayden and how well-behaved he is at restaurants. He is so easy and I hope we're not in for a big shock with #2.

On Saturday, Phil and I packed a picnic lunch and headed to a park on Mercer Island to watch the Blue Angels Air Show with Hayden. Before the show began, Phil and Hayden had fun kicking a little soccer ball around. Hayden is getting really good at kicking and was laughing so hard and having so much fun with Daddy. Once the Blue Angels show started, Hayden got really upset by how loud they were. He was really scared, crying and shaking and covering his ears. We were doing our best to calm him, but the planes really were incredibly loud where we were. On the bright side, Hayden said the most complete sentences he's ever uttered thus far: "Blue Angels way too loud." and "Let's go home." So we packed up our stuff and headed for the car about halfway through the show. He calmed down as soon as we got back to the car.




On Sunday we took Hayden to get his 2nd haircut. We went to Kids Cuts in Issaquah, and it went even better this time. He sat in the airplane barber seat and watched an Elmo movie. He sat relatively still and even tolerated the clippers around his ears and the back of his neck. He looks like such a big boy with such a clean, short haircut.


In the afternoon, I went to a friend's bridal shower, which I was thankful to attend, considering I originally thought I have to miss it if Brooklyn was already born. It was pretty fun to see everyone's eyes pop out when I say I'm 5 days overdue! And then of course everyone wants to share their labor story (or someone they know) and how HUGE their babies are when they were overdue. Thanks. That's making me feel much better. :)

So despite all the failed attempts at inducing labor naturally (and I've tried almost all the tricks in the book!), I just have to keep reminding myself that God is in control. Phil has a big manager's conference the first part of this week, so I guess it's also a good thing that Brooklyn is holding off on making her big entrance. Also, I've come down with a scratchy throat/cough/hurts-to-swallow kind of bug and I'm hoping that all clears up before she comes, too. Although, I am super sad that it looks like my good friend Lisa, who was my doula when Hayden was born, is not going to be able to assist in Brooklyn's delivery since she is now on vacation with her family on the Oregon Coast for the next 2 weeks. She said if I was scheduled to be induced, she could probably make the drive back up in time, so we'll see. Might just be me and Phil this time, though.

As I type this post, I've had several contractions. Maybe tonight will be the night afterall! Or not.

No comments: