Sunday, August 31, 2008

28th Birthday

Since my birthday this year happened to fall on Labor Day weekend, most of our family and friends had other plans. I remember a year when I was younger and my birthday was on Labor Day weekend I had invited like 15 kids to my birthday party and only 2 could come. This year, we didn't even bother trying to invite anyone to celebrate. I thought it would be fine to celebrate with just our family: Me, Phil, and Hayden. I was wrong.

I arranged for Phil and Hayden to do a free preview class at The Little Gym in Issaquah at 9am so I could sleep in on my birthday, for once. At 8:40 I could hear them downstairs still eating breakfast. Not wanting Hayden to be late for his class, I went downstairs and helped get Hayden ready and out the door by 8:55am. Then I finished off some cold blueberry pancakes by myself. It was so quiet I barely knew what to do with myself. Oh, TV, that's right. So I got a couple chuckles out of The Soup episode.

Then my mom & clan called and serenaded me to a boisterous "Happy Birthday" song and then I chatted with them for a bit.

After that I watched some Jon Stewart and then Phil came home with Hayden. Hayden was so excited and full of energy when he came and gave me a huge hug. That boy lights up my life! I heard all about how much fun they had at The Little Gym. I knew he would love it because he has already learned to put his head down to do somersaults on command, and loves balls and I knew there would be plenty of opportunities for both there. Phil said he also did really well on a stair apparatus and scored a 9.6 on the parallel bars to beat China out for the gold. ;) Even though Hayden really enjoyed it, we looked over the pricing: a $40 annual "Membership fee" and then $370 for a semester (20 classes), and we decided $20 per class was too steep for our budget.

Phil wanted to finish his half-eaten breakfast so I played with Hayden and fed him a snack. Then Phil put him down for a nap. He had a tough time falling asleep probably because of the later morning snack but once he finally fell asleep, he slept for almost 3 hours. Yay!

During those 3 hours, I took a shower, watched some more tv, got a "Happy Birthday" call from Grandma, and a wonderfully unexpected call from a long-lost friend. Then Phil and I ate lunch and got Hayden's stuff all ready to go out for the rest of the afternoon/evening. It's quite a task to pack a diaper bag and think about the food and drinks he'll need for the rest of the day.

I opened Phil's gift to me. A beautiful necklace and matching earrings from Fireworks Gallery, that I had strongly hinted to him a couple weeks ago at the mall. I sure make it easy for him. He says I'm really hard to buy for, so I guess this helps me from being disappointed, but sometimes I wish he would just get me something he thinks I would like because he knows me so well, rather than basically pick it out myself and act surprised when I open it. I hear many husbands are like this, though, so at least he paid attention, and at least I didn't actually buy them and wrap them for myself, like some wives I know!

So after Hayden woke up, we headed down to Westfield Shopping mall where they have just opened a whole new wing of the mall. What were we thinking going to a mall on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend??!! The traffic backup off the exit was gridlocked. But I must have had some birthday magic on my side because we miraculously found a decent parking spot right away. The mall was packed with all the back-to-school shoppers. PACKED.

Phil hung out with Hayden on the kid's play area, which was very cool, but also packed. Nice of Phil to let me go have some baby-free shopping time. But shopping alone can also be kinda lame. Sometimes I don't mind, but on my birthday, it felt pretty lonely.

The new mall has a new 2-stroy H&M store. I had been to H&M in London and was excited to check it out, remembering the good styles and prices. It was more than a madhouse, but I managed to find 19 items to try on, waited in line for the fitting rooms for about 20 minutes, ended up with 7 "yes" shirts and then waited in line another 20 minutes to pay. Oh, and a super obnoxious couple was fighting behind me while we were in line and I wanted to turn around and smack the boyfriend for some of the things he was saying to his girlfriend or at least tell the girl "Dump that jerk! You deserve better, girlfriend!" But I kept my mouth shut and eyes forward. Waiting in lines alone on your birthday sucks.

After tracking down Phil and Hayden it was almost 5:15pm. We knew we needed to get to dinner fast. We thought Red Robin would be a good bet since it's not attached to the mall and maybe wouldn't be as crowded. Plus, Hayden LOVES the atmosphere of RR so we knew he'd be entertained during our meal. But as we walked toward the end of the mall where we parked, I remembered The Rainforest Cafe was in the mall, and knew that would be fun for Hayden. Astonishingly, there was no wait and we were seated right away! Hayden was captivated by the fish tanks and wanted nothing to do with his high chair. So maybe we'd made a mistake coming here! Phil and I took turns touring Hayden around the restaurant, and I ran back to the car to get Hayden's milk from the cooler. The service was quick, which was nice with a baby, but it was really mediocre food. This restaurant seems to put all their effort into ambiance and none into food quality. Phil couldn't even finish his burger because it was so dry and tasteless – like it went from freezer to microwave. My pasta wasn't much better.

Phil was complaining about his food and a stomach ache, and was off in the bathroom when the waitress brough over my birthday dessert. I insisted that she and the waiters who came with her not sing, since it was just me and Hayden at our table. A guy at a table next to us looked at me and made a sad/pity face, like "I'm sorry you are alone for your birthday dessert." Hayden was squirmy and anxious to go explore the restaurant some more, so I managed a few bites of dessert and then walked around with him until Phil came back from the bathroom. We ate some more over-priced giant chocolate brownie w/ice cream while taking turns entertaining Hayden and then Phil realized Hayden's diaper was soaked through his pants!

Phil took Hayden to change him (I had just changed him before we sat down to eat dinner, so I was shocked that his diaper would be that soaked!) and his clothes, while I stayed back at the table, alone again, to pay our bill, gather up all our stuff and clean up a bit and wait for them up front. At least Phil was nice enough to change Hayden out of his wet diaper and wet clothes.

We got Hayden home way later than his bedtime so I felt bad. While Phil was putting Hayden to bed I got Boggle out and turned on the TV to wait for him. Then he decided to take a shower and get ready for bed so I got sucked into a Sandra Bullock/Hugh Grant movie on TV. When Phil finally came downstairs he didn't notice (or pretended not to notice) Boggle and at this point, I didn't really care to play. I watched the stupid movie while Phil fell asleep on the couch and then I went to bed alone and left Phil on the couch.

Next year I hope my birthday doesn't fall on Labor Day weekend. Today seemed like any ordinary day. Maybe even a little worse. :( On the bright side, I can't wait to wear my new clothes and jewellery!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jacqui,
SO Sorry your birthday sucked! I have had birthdays like that (Brian forgot to give me my present, and when I mentioned it once we were in bed he pulled it out of his sock drawer, still in the paper bag it came in and handed it to me. He hasn't lived that down still.) I hope the rest of your 28th year more than makes up for the not-so-great start. Take care! :)

Annie said...

Hey Jacqui, what a day! Did I tell you about my bday this year? It wasn't much better/worse than yours... so maybe we need a girls-day-out to make up for our bdays. See you soon :)
Annie